The Mi A2 is a quite old mid ranger phone from price and hardware spec’s point of view.
It comes with a dual camera setup, with a primary camera of 20MP, and a 12MP secondary sensor.
Although the stock MIUI camera is a good piece of software but that can be further enhanced with a Google Camera mod.
In fact, there are few compatible GCam mods available for the phone which are brought to you by back.rider, the_dise, Parrot043.
Available version of GCam
With every Android major version update we get a major update of the Google camera as well.
In between, there are some minor version release of the GCam also comes, so I am listing out all available versions of the mod for Mi A2 so that you can get to know when we have an update, right from the below list.
- GCam 8.2 (Latest Version)
- GCam 8.1 (Latest Version)
- GCam 7.3 (RECOMMENDED Stable Version)
- GCam 7.1
- GCam 7.0
- GCam 6.2
What Extra Do You Get on Google Camera?
People know the GCam app from couple of years since when it had the HDR+. And then the camera app has evolved significantly.
Below are some of the extra features that you can expect to enhance your existing camera setup on the Mi A2:
- Astrophotography mode used to capture the sky and celestial bodies in the dark. Not for everyone, but worth mentioning in thia features list.
- HDR+ brings much images in a condition where you have much broghter or darker regions in the scene.
- DSLR like bokeh effect with GCam’s portrait mode.
- With Night Sight mode you get better exposed low light images from the camera.
- Multi-mode video stabilization
- RAW image capture so that it can be edited in the post
- Built-in Google Lens
Compatibility Status of GCam on Mi A2
– All basic features
– Nothing reported yet
Enable Camera2 API to install Google Camera
Google Camera2 API is what enables advanced camera features such as: RAW image capture, High frame rate video recording, slow motion, etc.
To be able to install and run Google Camera successfully, the Camera2 API must be enabled.
Follow the below guide to enable Camera2 API:
- Unlock bootloader.
- Root the phone temporarily or permanently as per your choice.
- Either flash a camera2 API enabled patched boot image or flash the Camera2 API enabler zip file using custom recovery.
How to Install Google Camera on the Phone?
- Download any compatible GCam mod APK for Mi A2 from the download link(s).
- To install apps from a third party app other than Play Store you need to enable app install from Unknown Sources on your Android device.For Android 10 or later version, enable Install Unknown Apps from the app from which you are going to install the APK file.For example: if you have downloaded the Google Camera apk file on Google chrome or firefox browser on your phone. Or you have downloaded and copied the apk file to the file browser and you want to install it from there.Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Open the app (Chrome, Firefox or file manager app etc) > Install unknown apps and enable Allow from this source
See the below screenshots that enables to install unknown apps on Pie for Chrome app (you need to enable on the app from where you want to install the apk):
- Once enabled, click on the downloaded app to install.
- Once installed you can clear the app data and open the app and enjoy the feature packed Google Camera on the phone.
New features and updates of the GCam mod keeps coming, hence there could be many versions of the GCam available for the Mi A2 today and in future. This page will always list all the compatible Google Camera versions for the phone.